A Diary of our Current Meanderings, Thoughts, and Adventures...

Enjoy!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dear Poppy,

I want you know that I can't wait to see you. I am currently becoming frustrated by your incessant kicks to my ribs and sternum, and the amount of times you make me use the bathroom in a single day (it's absurd--really), but I can't wait.
I also want you know how scared I am to be your Mom. Will I be as good of a Mom to you as mine has been to me? Will I nit pick and nag at you, like I do to Daddy, or will I let you be free? I want you to know that I am really going to try my best to be decent at this. But, I know I will make a lot of mistakes. Unfortunately, you are our first child...and they say that means you are often the 'experiment'...so we are sorry if we make a decision we think is right at the time, that turns out to be not so great in the long run. Just remember we are doing our best!

There are a few things I have been thinking about that I would like you to keep in mind...

Pray that you get Daddy's teeth--not mine. You will be visiting the dentist far too often if you get mine. So pray for that. I will too.

I'm sorry if Daddy and I embarress you...sometimes we look at each other and say, "Our kid is gonna think you are crazy"...and you are probably right if you think that. But know that we love you, even as nutty as we are/will be.

It's okay to cry. Sometimes I beat myself up over being such a 'cry baby', but I've realized that it's just who I am, and it helps me to truly feel...so if you are one too--don't worry. I'll sit on your bed and cry with you. I promise.

Listen to Daddy's wisdom. I might have a few nuggets of truth for you here and there, but Daddy's got a lot of good things to say--so try and listen when he speaks up.

We're not gonna get a cat. I say this because if you are anything like me, you will really want a cat. But Dad is allergic, and we can't have one without spending way too much money for a hypo-allergenic one. So just don't get your hopes up. You can have a hampster. Maybe.

We want you to be whoever you want to be, and have interests in all sorts of things, but I ask that you don't fall in love with terrible music or video games. I don't know if I could stomach them. [No offense Rob. But if our kid does like video games, he/she will only be allowed to play them with you. :)]

Don't be a picky eater...PLEASE!!

You can tell Daddy and I anything. We want you to know that. Just remember that we can't just be your friend. We do have a responsibility for you--so sometimes we might have to make decisions to protect you that you may not love. We'll take these as they come.

Don't get mad at us if you don't like your name. A lot of thought is going into your name choice, and you will understand the headache when you are expecting a child one day!

You have a world of people that already love and adore you, and you are not even born yet. Remember how lucky you are, and lean on these people. They will be your strength. You will know who they are early one.

We love you,

Mommy (and Daddy)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Dear Poppy,

You are so very beautiful. There is no one else quite like you. These are some of the truths I want to contribute to your precious little life.

I am anxiously awaiting your arrival. I can't wait to hold you. To dance with you, to sing with you, to teach you how to build a tower of blocks with Riley and Grayson! The list is long, we in the "GC" like to "do it up" for every little thing. :)You will be arriving at an exciting time. Spring is upon us and there are plans to redefine our "intentional community." Our Camden plant is growing and taking shape. You have a really amazing group of kids who are just going to adore you!

I love you kiddo. See you soon.

Love always, Aunt Jen

jon said...

i like this a lot, kim :)