A Diary of our Current Meanderings, Thoughts, and Adventures...

Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"Make your own...Whaaaat?!" Entry #5: Peach Iced Tea

Have I mentioned that fresh fruit is practically my favorite fruit? Do you know that I make fresh batches of brewed iced tea twice a week? When I got the idea to combine peaches in my tea, I got a little giggly.

I have particular memories of Snapple's peach iced tea on rides to and from the shore...Wawa peach iced tea after gymnastics practices...Turkey Hill peach iced tea for lunch during my student teaching days. What a great combo! Time to make my own. :)

On top of the nostalgia and peach/tea being a favorite combination to me...I had 4 peaches in my fruit bowl getting ready to go bad. Perfect timing to try my own summer treat!

Here's what you'll need to try yours:

Fresh/almost-going-bad peaches (I used 4 to get started) - sliced into small pieces
3 tbsp. agave nectar
1 tbsp. corn syrup
1 1/2 c. water
Food Processor/Blender Ice Cube Tray


Peel and slice peaches into small pieces.


Boil peaches on medium-high heat with water. Once boiling, let the peaches simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Check a peach to make sure its soft and slightly flaky.


Drain peaches from water, then put peaches into a food processor or blender. Add agave nectar and corn syrup into blender. Sugar and honey could be substituted instead.

Blend peaches and syrups. If the mixture seems very thick, add a few teaspoons of water and blend again.

**My initial goal for this recipe was to create a syrup that could be put into the drink itself, but the thickness seems better in an ice cube mixture. As the cubes melt, the mixture is incredible...even better than my long-standing memory/history with peach tea. :)

Pour peach mixture into ice cube trays.


Let ice cubes sit for 24 hours before using.


Add the tea over the cubes...Mmm...seriously delicious. And refreshing!


On a 91 degree day in South Jersey...when the AC is off to save some energy-this tea hit the spot!

How about you?? What delicious summer refreshments have you created?

No comments: